These are links to organisations that be helpful. I’ve had personal experience with some (not all) of these and appreciated their support. Your own experience with helplines or peer-based groups could differ, but I hope that someone might find this contact information useful.
(Links open externally. Updated 14/11/2016. Please let me know if any links are broken or phone numbers out of date, or if you have any suggestions to add to this page.)
COPING WITH THE LOSS OF YOUR LOVED ONE
- If you’re struggling to cope with the loss of your loved one, you can talk to the Samaritans
United Kingdom 24 hour helpline offering confidential support and a listening ear when you need them most. You don’t have to be suicidal. Call free from any UK phone: 116 123.
National organisation that runs a free helpline and can provide face-to-face counselling support. UK freephone: 0808 808 1677.
- The Dove Service (UK – Staffordshire and West Midlands)
The Dove Service offers counselling and support to all those affected by bereavement, life-changing illness and significant loss. Based in Stoke-on-Trent. 01782 683155
FOR BEREAVED PARENTS
- The Compassionate Friends
Support for families after a child (of any age) dies. This is well-established international network that hosts websites, internet forums, support groups and helplines.
Helpline in the UK, always answered by a bereaved parent: 0845 123 2304 (daily 10:00-16:00 and 19:00-22:00)
Page with links to chapters in Australia, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Netherlands, Philippines, South Africa and Switzerland:
For anyone affected by the death of a child of any age, from prebirth to adult, under any circumstances, however recently or long ago.
Freephone in the UK: 0800 282 986 Freephone from UK mobile: 0808 800 6019
This is a self-help organisation that aims to meet the needs and break the isolation of those bereaved by the suicide of a close relative or friend. The website contains helpful resources.
Helpline in the UK: 0844 561 6855 (9 am – 9 pm daily)
Page with links for support in the USA and Australia: http://www.uk-sobs.org.uk/useful_websites.htm
ORGANISATIONS THAT CAN HELP AFTER DEATHS IN PARTICULAR CIRCUMSTANCES
(These are all UK based)
- INQUEST: For deaths in custody and detention. http://www.inquest.org.uk/help/handbook/handbook-introduction
- RETHINK: For deaths of those who were suffering from mental illness, whether or not they were receiving treatment. This includes suicide. https://www.rethink.org/home
- Action against Medical Incidents (AvMA): For deaths related to medical treatment (NHS or private) https://www.avma.org.uk/help-advice/inquests/
- Victim Support: Supporting those bereaved by murder and manslaughter: https://www.victimsupport.org.uk
- Road Peace: Supporting those bereaved through road traffic accidents. http://www.roadpeace.org/support/advocacy/